Have you recently been involved in an auto accident? Here are some qualities to look for when searching for an auto accident lawyer. After all, you only have so much time to file a claim to fight for compensation. Otherwise, you’ll have to pay your medical bills and property losses on your own. With these tips, you can find a professional who will fight at your side.
1) Specialized Experience – While there are over 135,000 personal injury lawyers in the US, not all of them have the same specialty. For example, personal injury law can include cases like animal bites, defamation, and assault and battery. Trial experience with these cases won’t help your auto accident case. Instead, you want to look for a lawyer with years of experience in the right specialty. Consider your case. What type of accident were you in? You can split an auto accident case into sub-categories like motorcycle, car, bike, and truck accidents. You can even pursue an Uber accident lawsuit if someone else was driving. Choosing someone with the right specialty will give you peace of mind. You’ll know they’ve managed cases like yours before. Choosing general personal injury lawyers, on the other hand, might hurt your case. They might not know the laws and procedures needed to win your lawsuit. It’s important to make sure your lawyer has experience working in your region, too. Some laws can differ based on where you live. Make sure you choose auto accident injury lawyers who have practiced in your state for some time.
2) A Strong Track Record – As you research different crash lawyers in the area, make sure they have plenty of experience in a courtroom, too. What’s their track record like when they take a trial before a judge and jury? Do they know how to keep their composure and argue on their client’s behalf? Some lawyers are apprehensive about going to court. It’s important to make sure you find a confident lawyer. Check their track record to make sure they can back up their claims. You can also ask the auto accident injury lawyers on your list about their most recent cases. Have they handled any case like yours in the past year? What happened with that case? Did they win for their client? How large was the settlement? You can check the Martindale-Hubbell and Better Business Bureau sites to start.
3) Analytical Skills – Over 6 million car accidents occur in the US every year. Despite how common auto accidents are, not every case is the same. It’s important to find a lawyer with the research and analytical skills necessary to build your case. Your lawyer should know how to build a legal strategy with your specific case in mind. A cookie-cutter approach won’t work. Is the lawyer able to gather evidence regarding your case? Can they build a re-enactment to show the other driver was negligent? If they lack the analytical skills you need, they might not win your lawsuit.
4) Communication Skills – It’s also important to look for a lawyer with strong communication skills. After all, they’re arguing on your behalf! You can schedule a consultation appointment with each of the auto accident injury lawyers on your list. During your appointment, pay attention to how they speak. Are they clear and concise? Did you struggle to understand what they were saying? If you can’t understand them, chances are a jury of your peers can’t, either.
5) The Right Fee Structure – You can also ask each crash lawyer if you can see a copy of their contract during your consultation appointment. Take the time to ask about their fee structure as well. Do any of them work on a contingency fee basis? A lawyer who works based on this fee structure won’t receive payment unless they win your case. Then, they’ll only receive a percentage of the settlement. A lawyer who works on a contingency fee basis will feel more motivated to win your case. Make sure you understand the specifics of the contract before signing on the dotted line.
Keep these qualities in mind as you look into auto accident lawyers in the area. With these tips, you can find the best lawyer for your case! You don’t have to go through this alone. At Accident Lawyer John Fagan, we are here to help. Contact us today at 777-JOHN to discuss the specifics of your case.