How to Categorize Pain
Pain is often categorized into four different classes. If you have been in a motorcycle accident, a Jacksonville motorcycle accident attorneycan evaluate your case and help you classify your level of pain.
Classifying Your Pain
Class 1 and Class 2 levels of pain are considered “mild” and “moderate,” respectively. However, serious motorcycles accidents can often result in Class 3 and Class 4 pain. The following will help you determine if your pain is considered Class 3 or Class 4.
Class 3: Moderately Severe Pain
If you are often in pain, and that pain is so severe that you would typically rate it a9 or 10 on a scale of 1 to 10, this indicates that your pain may be Class 3. Other indicators are:
- You can perform your usual daily activities, but only if you alter how you do them.
- There are many daily routine activities that you cannot perform due to the pain.
- You have moderate to severe distress, which is a direct result from the pain and is substantially related to the pain.
- You frequently take medication to alleviate pain symptoms.
- You have severe pain-related limitation of movement.
- You consistently demonstrate pain behaviors during an examination that appear to be in line with organic dysfunction (meaning, in agreement with the actual physical cause of the problem).
Class 4: Severe Pain
If you are always in pain, and that pain is so severe that you would rate it a9 or 10 on a scale of 1 to 10, this indicates that your pain may be Class 4. Other indicators are:
- You need considerable help when doing your daily activities.
- It takes you a long time to get dressed, prepare meals, or perform other basic daily activities.
- You are taking the maximum amount of painkillers prescribed on an ongoing basis.
- You feel like your pain is unbearable or out of control.
- You cannot submit to a physical examination because it is too painful.
- Your pain behaviors are in line with organic dysfunction.
If you are in serious pain due to a motorcycle accident and are in need the services of a Jacksonville motorcycle accident attorney, call John Fagan at 904-278-1000 to schedule a consultation.