Auto Accident Attorney Orange Park:First Steps After An Automobile Accident
First Steps After An Automobile Accident
(Courtesy of Your Auto Accident Attorney Orange Park)
Did you know that the steps you take directly after an auto accident can have a huge effect on how likely you are to recover damages in a legal case? This is true if it is handled through insurance or if it goes to court. Chances are if you’re involved in a car accident, quite likely you’ll be so overwhelmed by the situation that you may have trouble thinking about what is the right or smart thing to do. That’s why, as an auto accident attorney Orange Park, we recommend thinking ahead of time about these five steps you should take “just in case.”
- Get to Safety – The last thing anyone wants is to have a minor accident turn into something major because of additional injury due to rubberneckers or carelessness. If you can move the vehicles to the shoulder, do so. If you’re able to move yourself from the roadway, do so. Be safe, and don’t move a person who may have a back or neck injury unless there is a risk of fire, explosion or them being hit by a vehicle.
- Obtain Medical Care – Call 911 or the local ambulance service if anyone has been injured. Even if you think the injury may be minor it is always best to have the injury checked out by a medical professional. This can be an important step if this turns into an insurance or legal case. Your auto accident attorney Orange Park always recommends having all injuries, no matter how minor they are, documented just in case.
- Obtain a Police Report – If you haven’t already talked to law enforcement when you called 911, make sure you call them at this time. A police report needs to be filed. The police will gather all pertinent information from both parties.
- Gather Information from Witnesses – If there are any witnesses, get phone numbers and contact information. This can be very useful later. The police may get this information for you, but if you are able to get the information yourself it can be helpful too. Your attorney or the insurance company may want the contact information to corroborate the story of what happened.
- Call Your Attorney – You don’t want to deal with insurance companies on your own. The insurers want to settle the cases as quickly, and cheaply, as possible. Your auto accident attorney Orange Park is on your side to help you get the settlement you deserve.
While taking these steps is important, if you miss a piece of information or detail it doesn’t mean you’re completely out of luck. However, it is crucial you get in touch with an auto accident attorney Orange Park right away. A good car accident lawyer can help you work through the details of the case and make sure that no stone is left un-turned. Reach out to our auto accident attorney Orange Park office today and let us help you get the best result for your car accident case. We look forward to working with you.